Jimerson Birr provides labor and employment legal services to business clients in a broad range of industries, including construction, banking and financial services, hospitality, and others.
We advise clients, including through management training, on how to handle personnel matters in compliance with federal, state, and local laws, including with respect to hiring, job training, drug testing, background checks, employee discipline, reductions in force, payment/provision of wages and benefits, and the investigation and resolution of employee complaints. We also assist clients in the drafting of employment-related documents, including employee handbooks, performance evaluations, job descriptions, disciplinary action forms, employment agreements, and non-compete and other restrictive covenant agreements.
We also represent business clients in lawsuits (in court as well as arbitration), administrative proceedings, and other disputes relating to a broad spectrum of labor and employment law issues, including, without limitation, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, interference with leave of absence protections, unpaid wages, independent contractor misclassification, violations of non-compete agreements, misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair labor practice charges, and union grievances.
We have assisted business clients with respect to federal, state, and local labor and employment laws, including, without limitation:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (“Title VII”);
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”);
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (“ADEA”);
- The Family and Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”);
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”);
- The National Labor Relations Act (“NLRA”);
- The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (“USERRA”);
- The Employee Retirement Income Security Act (“ERISA”);
- The Federal Defend Trade Secrets Act (“DTSA”); and
- Related state and local laws.