TRADE SECRET PROTECTION
Because of its confidential nature, seeking trade secret protection can be difficult. Trade secrets are loosely defined as proprietary or confidential information used in a business. The secret must have monetary value or provide the owner with some type of competitive advantage. Businesses must be very careful to maintain an element of secrecy by taking reasonable precautions, such as the use of confidentiality, non-disclosure or non-compete agreements, before proposing the secret idea to a potential buyer, investor, employee, or other person. A company may spend a great deal of time, effort and resources developing client or potential client lists, manufacturing processes, industrial and technological information, product or processes specifications, business strategies, and marketing plans—priceless information that is not available to the general public. When this information is illegally shared with competitors, it can cause permanent damage to business interests. Jimerson Birr attorneys can help protect your business from unauthorized disclosure and use of trade secrets, as well as unlawful solicitation or competition.
Attorneys at Jimerson Birr have counseled and represented employers and employees in disputes involving trade secrets, non-disclosure, confidentiality, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, the employee duty of loyalty, and all aspects of trade secret litigation, including:
- Preparing agreements and other documents with corresponding policy implementation procedures that allow employers to protect valuable information and customer relationships
- Drafting, implementing or enforcing non-compete or non-solicitation agreements
- Drafting, implementing or enforcing confidentiality and/or non-disclosure agreements
- Misappropriation of trade secrets and seeking temporary and permanent injunctions to prevent the immediate use of trade secrets
- Counseling employers who are hiring and terminating employees
- Preventing and policing industrial espionage
- Advising management or executive level employees through the process of transitioning from one employer to another
- Tortious interference with business or contractual relationships
Disputes involving theft of trade secrets or other confidential information require decisive action from lawyers accustomed to offensive strikes. We represent plaintiffs and defendants, from Fortune 100 companies to startups, in high-stakes clashes or loss prevention matters to avert the theft of proprietary information and threats to trade secrets. Jimerson Birr attorneys regularly seek and obtain emergency injunctive relief to preserve evidence and prevent dissemination of trade secrets or unlawful competition. While Jimerson Birr attorneys are often able to resolve restrictive covenant or trade secret claims through dispositive motion practice or on favorable settlement terms, they are always prepared for and do not hesitate to take a case to verdict when that is in the client’s best interest.
Jimerson Birr is a premier law firm with a market-leading trade secret protection practice that is tailored to the nuances of the industries we serve. Our teams have a global perspective and strong Florida roots. Our clients look to us to bring a distinctively high degree of quality, passion and creativity to resolve trade secret protection challenges effectively and cost efficiently.
We’re honored to work with some of the world’s most accomplished organizations and the leaders who drive them. We know that on any given day our clients are confronting competition, corporate advancement, risk management, process and product innovation, resource allocation, efficiency stewardship and talent oversight problems; some days all the above. When our clients place trade secret protection matters with us, they enlist sets of broad shoulders that carry their burdens for them so that they no longer feel their weight. This deep business partnership will give us both an opportunity to be at our best.
We draw on the strength of our character and talents to deliver the best of our firm to every client through true collaboration. We don’t confuse effort with results, and we focus on the immutable, allied goals at all times. Partnership with Jimerson Birr on trade secret protection matters means that you are not looking in any direction but ahead.
We live by our 7 Superior Service Commitments
- Conferring Client-Defined Value
- Efficient and Cost-Effective
- Delivering an Experience While Delivering Results
- Meaningful and Enduring Partnership
- Exceptional Communication Based Upon Listening
- Accountability to Goals