Regulated Industries Overview
Jimerson Birr’s Regulated Industries Team focuses several service offerings within the legal cannabis industries, including marijuana, hemp, cannabidiol (CBD), AgTech companies, biotechnology companies, cultivation and retail companies, or ancillary cannabis businesses. Our team of experienced and connected attorneys help individuals and entities in the industry navigate the complicated startup procedures, licensure requirements, transactional process, compliance mazes, and other correlated challenges. The cannabis industry is taking off like a missile because of enormous progress of marijuana legalization all over the country. With a burgeoning market, cannabis industry entrepreneurs have a rare opportunity to capitalize on these openings, some of which need help from legal professionals to protect their investment.
Specialists in Business Growth
Growing a cannabis industry business is a product of modernization, hard work, and education. All of these are principal to industry success. Jimerson Birr clients gain faster industry and legal expertise, which gives them an advantage in getting to the next phase earlier than their competitors. In many cases, we’ve helped clients avoid costly mistakes and wasted time, freeing them up to focus on other vital elements of their innovative enterprises. Our value-add counsel seeks to take the mystery out of the process for clients, which can be the most paralyzing for a new company in an emergent industry.
Our client-focused insights will help you gain clarity when working with experienced lawyers who have shepherded companies through the life cycles of a business multiple times. Through Jimerson Birr’s services, we will help find and implement practical business and legal solutions, operational and regulatory strategies, and strategic relationships that take our clients’ businesses to the next level. When thinking of starting or enriching a new cannabis industry business, it pays to consult with Jimerson Birr.
The Last Firm You’ll Hire
Our team is able to represent clients involved in the business of breeding, cultivating, extracting, manufacturing, and selling cannabis and cannabis products. We are at our best when we are helping navigate a complicated state and local licensing and regulatory mandate, assisting with the purchase or sale of a cannabis industry company, gaining conformity to land use, environmental, property development laws, supporting capital raises or financing transactions, or providing business operations counsel. We specialize in providing wide-ranging guidance on startup and operational business services for medical cannabis, adult use marijuana, and the industrial hemp sectors. Our team is determined to put the right people together with the right regulated industry clients in order to efficiently answer substantive questions, prevent problems and create business opportunity. We are here to make things easy for you.
Who We Serve
- Cannabis Breeders, Cultivators, Extractors and Manufacturers
- Cannabis Dispensaries & Retail
- AgTech Companies
WHAT WE DO FOR THE REGULATED INDUSTRIES
Jimerson Birr recognizes that companies in the risky, complex, and rapidly expanding cannabis sector depend on sound counsel for mission-critical operational, legal and regulatory issues. We are committed to the goal of helping cannabis businesses and entrepreneurs mitigate risk and prevent problems before they arise or escalate.
- We stay fully apprised of changes to cannabis laws and industry trends in order to proactively keep our clients informed through our educational efforts and industry wide training initiatives.
- We draft and prepare contract documents in a manner that will make the language more understandable, address the primary risks of your particular business and regulatory issues, and bring the documents into compliance with changes in law or trends in the industry.
- Our dedication to efficient and cost-conscious practice of law, in conjunction with innovative and flexible compensation terms, enable us to help those in the cannabis community effectively plan and maintain their budgets without surprise.
- We have the resources and bandwidth to address legal issues which may occur in the everyday management and operation of the business.
Our Regulated Industries Attorneys cover all aspects of a company’s legal needs, with specialty service offerings centered around:
- Federal and State Cannabis-Related Laws and Regulations Compliance
- Administrative Litigation for Cannabis Industry License Holders
- CBD and Industrial Hemp Law
- Licenses to Grow, Process or Dispense Adult-Use Marijuana, Medical Marijuana and Hemp
- Cannabis Industry Start-Up Company Services
- Private Placements and Investor Relations
- IRS Section 280E Strategic Counseling
- Civil Forfeiture Risk Advisement and Mitigation
- Cannabis Banking Law Compliance
- Product Safety, Labeling and Regulatory Compliance
More than just Regulated Industries legal specialists, Jimerson Birr has a team of attorneys with experience and expertise in every legal issue you may encounter, including:
- Accounts Receivable and Judgment Collections
- Administrative Law and Licensing
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Asset Protection Law
- Bet The Company Litigation
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Borrower Representation
- Business Litigation
- Business Process Consulting
- Corporate and Board of Directors Governance and Operations Counsel
- Corporate Formation, Transactions and Dissolution
- Class Action Litigation Defense
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Disaster and Crisis Preparation and Response
- Economic Development and Government Incentives
- Eminent Domain Law
- Employment Law
- Environmental Diligence, Compliance, Permitting and Mitigation
- Executive Coaching
- Fair Credit Reporting Act Defense
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Defense
- Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act Defense
- Florida Registered Agent Services
- Government Procurement and Bid Protests
- General Counsel for Small Businesses or Start Up Companies
- Governmental Relations and Advocacy
- Immigration Law for Businesses
- Insurance Procurement and Coverage
- Intellectual Property Protection
- Landlord/Tenant Leasing (Commercial)
- Land Use and Zoning
- Legal Opinions
- Opportunity Zone Investing
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Premises Liability
- Property Insurance Claims
- Property Tax Disputes
- Real Estate Transactions & Disputes
- Records Management and Document Retention
- Shareholder Disputes and Derivative Litigation
- Subpoena Response
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act Defense
- Trade Secret Protection
- Vendor Contracting
- Workplace Safety, OSHA and CDC Compliance
We live by our 7 Superior Service Commitments
- Conferring Client-Defined Value
- Efficient and Cost-Effective
- Delivering an Experience While Delivering Results
- Meaningful and Enduring Partnership
- Exceptional Communication Based Upon Listening
- Accountability to Goals
Jacksonville, Fla — March 10, 2022 — For the fifth year, Jimerson Birr has been recognized by the Law Firm 500, which
Jacksonville, Fla—March 24, 2022—Jimerson Birr Managing Partner Charles B. Jimerson, Esq. has been named as one of America’s
A successful ransomware attack can cost a business hundreds of thousands of dollars or more in cash, plus weeks of lost
Chief Executive Officer of Agricultural Analytics & Technology Company Testimonial
This is my choice firm for my company’s needs. I’ve never brought an issue to Jimerson Birr that isn’t swiftly remedied and thoroughly examined. When the need arises for sound legal advice or ensuring compliance with the ever-changing laws and trends within the industry, this firm is always prepared and one step ahead with their expertise, anticipation and preparation for what’s next. With our technology focus in an emerging industry, it is nice to work with lawyers who have flexibility and intellect to handle complex issues in areas we have watched other service providers stumble.
Chief Operating Officer of Cannabis Dispensary Testimonial
The team at Jimerson Birr have served as my legal counsel from my business’ inception, and their matter-of-fact, investigated approach has proven to be a great value while navigating a complicated industry with heavy regulation. As a cannabis dispensary with several storefronts, I rest easy knowing that my legal team not only has a stronghold at the forefront of this niche market but also help us to advance our growth with their thoughtful recommendations to ensure my business and investment are protected and flourishing.