Government Entities Overview
With the number of laws, rules and regulations overseeing governmental activities consistently increasing and the need for specialized legal services to meet constituent demand rising, governmental entities at the local and state levels have turned to Jimerson Birr’s Governmental Entities Industry Team to provide guidance specific to their particular needs. Our experienced and specialized team focuses on providing a wide range of legal services to governmental entities throughout the state of Florida.
We are able to serve as outsourced legal counsel to Florida’s various departments and agencies, municipalities, counties, school districts, special districts and authorities, and individual government officials when a partner is needed to help serve the citizens in a legal and ethical way. We endeavor to provide solutions to their challenges related to all aspects of organization, governance, management, and provision of services. Our team’s experience extends to general and special counsel representation, including but not limited to, elections, riparian laws and property rights, bonding, land development and zoning, real estate purchases, sales and leasing, construction, employment law, legal or regulatory compliance and enforcement, special investigations and ethics violations, conflicts of interest, complex litigation, premises liability, real property condemnation, environmental remediation, economic development, procurement and vendor contracting, legal opinions, legislative drafting, government relations, and intergovernmental contracting.
Who We Serve
- Municipalities and Counties
- State Departments and Agencies
- School Boards and Districts
- Special Districts
- Government Officials
WHAT WE DO FOR THE GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES INDUSTRY
Jimerson Birr recognizes that entities in the complex and fast-paced governmental sector depend on sound counsel for mission-critical operational, legal and regulatory issues. We are committed to the goal of helping governmental entities mitigate risk and prevent problems before they arise or escalate.
- We stay fully apprised of changes to governmental laws and industry trends in order to proactively keep our clients informed through our educational efforts and industry wide training initiatives.
- We draft and interpret documents in a manner that will make the language more understandable, address the primary risks of your particular organization, and bring the documents into compliance with changes in law or trends in the industry.
- Our dedication to efficient and cost-conscious practice of law, in conjunction with innovative and flexible compensation terms, enable us to help governmental entities effectively plan and maintain their budgets without surprise.
- We have the resources and bandwidth to address legal issues which may occur in the everyday management and operation of the business.
Our Governmental Entities Industry Attorneys cover all aspects of a company’s legal needs, with specialty service offerings centered around:
- Florida Sunshine and Public Records Law Compliance and Litigation
- Civil Infractions and Ordinance Enforcement
- Opinions on Municipal Property Taxes, Assessments and Fees
- Ordinance and Code Drafting
- Bond Financing
- Municipal and County Contracting Disputes
- Florida Election Law
- Public Employee Disputes
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Land Use and Zoning
More than just Governmental Entities Industry Law specialists, Jimerson Birr has a team of attorneys with experience and expertise in every legal issue you may encounter, including:
- Administrative Law and Licensing
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Business Litigation
- Business Process Consulting
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Disaster and Crisis Preparation and Response
- Employment Law
- Executive Coaching
- Landlord/Tenant Leasing (Commercial)
- Land Use and Zoning
- Legal Opinions
- Real Estate Transactions & Disputes
- Records Management and Document Retention
- Subpoena Response
- Vendor Contracting
We live by our 7 Superior Service Commitments
- Conferring Client-Defined Value
- Efficient and Cost-Effective
- Delivering an Experience While Delivering Results
- Meaningful and Enduring Partnership
- Exceptional Communication Based Upon Listening
- Accountability to Goals
What Do The Florida Supreme Court Changes to Florida’s Summary Judgment Mean for the Business Community?
I Don’t Recommend it, but This is What you must do to get a Judge Disqualified From Your Case in Florida
Jacksonville, Fla — March 10, 2022 — For the fifth year, Jimerson Birr has been recognized by the Law Firm 500, which
Jacksonville, Fla—March 24, 2022—Jimerson Birr Managing Partner Charles B. Jimerson, Esq. has been named as one of America’s
A successful ransomware attack can cost a business hundreds of thousands of dollars or more in cash, plus weeks of lost
Advised Public Officials on Local and State Election Laws
Advised several public officials regarding interpretation of local and state election laws.
Represented a County Government in Defense of Bid Protest
Represented a county government in connection with the defense of multiple bid protests of an award for an emergency communications system contract in which the county’s decision to reject one of the bidders and make an award to the second ranked bidder was affirmed by Board of County Commissioners after an evidentiary hearing on the vendor protests.
Successfully Protested a Florida County’s Award of Multi-Year Food and Beverage Contract for Convention Center in Favor of Client
Represented a food service provider in a successful protest of a Florida county’s award of a multi-year food and beverage services contract for its convention center in which based on the protest arguments, the county rejected the original contract award to the client’s competitor and entered into an entirely new bid procurement process for the contract.
President of County School Board Testimonial
Handling employee disputes in the public sector can often times be a daunting task for any law firm. Quick remediation is paramount in order to properly handle multiple parties in a swift manner. Anytime we have brought Jimerson Birr in as counsel for these issues we have been extremely satisfied with the level of finesse delivered. We’ve never had a PR nightmare when they were involved. I would definitely call on them again if needed.
State Commerce Committee Member Testimonial
We’ve used them for specialized legal services, like legislation drafting, direct advocacy, investigative issues and campaign finance issues. Jimerson Birr has consistently delivered results. Many of these issues required focused legal insight and extensive industry knowledge, which they had. Solid group.