Jimerson Birr has an inimitable insurance industry team offering a full range of services to the insurance industry. Through many years of experience, our team has developed first-hand knowledge of the nature and extent of the challenges insurance companies face in today’s market. The firm’s experience and knowledge of the insurance industry runs deep, including in-house corporate officer level and legal counsel experience for national property/casualty insurance carriers. This business-level understanding allows the firm to better understand the specific legal and operational challenges its insurance clients face, and to provide a more focused service tailored to its insurance company clients.
At Jimerson Birr, we pride ourselves in background experience within the insurance industry that allows us to add value to your business operations. Our experience in the insurance industry makes us better legal advisors, better advocates and a better business partner. Whether the matter concerns claims, coverage or bad faith litigation, regulatory compliance, or corporate operations and transactions, Jimerson Birr’s multi-faceted team has the expertise to combine stellar legal advice with practical business solutions that allow insurance companies to make informed decisions, thereby mitigating risk and helping insurance carriers reach their profit and growth goals.
We are known for our professionalism and decorum, for keeping our costs in line with the litigation budgets of our clients and being effective communicators along the way. We assist insurance carriers, insured parties, and self-insured companies with a wide range of matters, including first party and third party commercial and personal coverage lines. Jimerson Birr attorneys have significant experience in first-party claims related to property and casualty, commercial liability, contractual liability, professional liability, business interruption, construction claims and defects, D&O liability, premises liability, cyber security, flood, auto and life insurance policies. In addition to handling claims in litigation, Jimerson Birr has handled insurance coverage and bad faith matters, often in pre-litigation settings by drafting comprehensive coverage opinions regarding an insurer’s duty to defend and/or indemnify. Jimerson Birr’s knowledgeable insurance attorneys also assist insurers by providing guidance and support to avoid regulatory claims and claims for bad faith. At our core, our insurance defense specialties include: general liability litigation, insurance coverage defense, professional liability defense, bad faith claims, first party litigation, third party litigation, subrogation and TPA disputes.
Who We Serve
- Property and Casualty Insurance Companies
- Third Party Administrators
- Insurance Brokers/Managing Agents
- Bonding Companies – Surety and Fidelity
WHAT WE DO FOR THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY
Jimerson Birr recognizes that companies in the risky, complex, and litigious insurance sector depend on sound counsel for mission-critical operational, legal and regulatory issues. We are committed to the goal of helping insurance executives mitigate risk and prevent problems before they arise or escalate.
- We stay fully apprised of changes to insurance laws and industry trends in order to proactively keep our clients informed through our educational efforts and industry wide training initiatives.
- We draft and prepare contract documents and policies in a manner that will make the language more understandable, address the primary risks of your business, and bring the documents into compliance with changes in law or trends in the industry.
- Our dedication to efficient and cost-conscious practice of law, in conjunction with innovative and flexible compensation terms, enable us to help insurance executives effectively plan and maintain their budgets without surprise.
- We have the resources and bandwidth to address legal issues which may occur in the everyday management and operation of the business.
Our Insurance Industry Attorneys cover all aspects of a company’s legal needs, with specialty service offerings centered around:
- Insurance Coverage Disputes (directors and officers liability, products liability, property damage and business interruption losses, professional indemnity/errors & omissions, crime/fidelity losses, credit risk losses, pension trustee liabilities, employment-related liabilities, cyber risk losses, toxic tort and environmental liabilities, construction defects, government investigations, political risk and professional liabilities)
- Bad Faith Defense
- Reformation and Rescission of Insurance Policies Litigation
- Personal and Advertising Injury Claims, including Claims for Disparagement, Copyright Infringement and Infringement of Trade Dress
- Construction-Related Claims, including Claims for Defects, Contractual Indemnification and Claims by Purported Additional Insureds
- Professional Liability Matters, including Errors and Omissions Claims Against Real Estate Agents, Insurance Agents, Attorneys, Physicians, and Directors and Officers
- Insurer Bankruptcy Representation
- Drafting Insurance Policy Language/Underwriting
- Insurance Fraud Litigation (and Criminal Restitution Collection)
- TPA Disputes and Litigation
- Extended Service Protection and Consumer Warranty Litigation
More than just Insurance Law specialists, Jimerson Birr has a team of attorneys with experience and expertise in every legal issue you may encounter, including:
- Accounts Receivable and Judgment Collections
- Administrative Law and Licensing
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Bet The Company Litigation
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Borrower Representation
- Business Litigation
- Business Process Consulting
- Corporate and Board of Directors Governance and Operations Counsel
- Corporate Formation, Transactions and Dissolution
- Class Action Litigation Defense
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Disaster and Crisis Preparation and Response
- Economic Development and Government Incentives
- Eminent Domain Law
- Employment Law
- Environmental Diligence, Compliance, Permitting and Mitigation
- Executive Coaching
- Fair Credit Reporting Act Defense
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Defense
- Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act Defense
- Florida Registered Agent Services
- Governmental Relations and Advocacy
- Immigration Law for Businesses
- Insurance Procurement and Coverage
- Intellectual Property Protection
- Landlord/Tenant Leasing (Commercial)
- Land Use and Zoning
- Legal Opinions
- Opportunity Zone Investing
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Premises Liability
- Property Tax Disputes
- Real Estate Transactions & Disputes
- Records Management and Document Retention
- Shareholder Disputes and Derivative Litigation
- Subpoena Response
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act Defense
- Trade Secret Protection
- Vendor Contracting
- Workplace Safety, OSHA and CDC Compliance
We live by our 7 Superior Service Commitments
- Conferring Client-Defined Value
- Efficient and Cost-Effective
- Delivering an Experience While Delivering Results
- Meaningful and Enduring Partnership
- Exceptional Communication Based Upon Listening
- Accountability to Goals
Jacksonville, Fla — March 10, 2022 — For the fifth year, Jimerson Birr has been recognized by the Law Firm 500, which
Jacksonville, Fla—March 24, 2022—Jimerson Birr Managing Partner Charles B. Jimerson, Esq. has been named as one of America’s
A successful ransomware attack can cost a business hundreds of thousands of dollars or more in cash, plus weeks of lost
Casualty Claim Specialist at Large Property & Casualty Insurer Testimonial
In my entire career, I’ve never seen as convoluted as a case as my last one with Jimerson Birr. This case had everything. With each twist and turn, Jimerson Birr remained calm and steady. They put together a strategy from the beginning that worked. Even things that we couldn’t have foreseen didn’t shake them as they delivered an incredible result for us. They managed a great case, came in on budget and were a hoot to work with.
Complex Claims Specialist for Small Business Insurer Testimonial
Their experience in class-action claim defense has enabled us to achieve some swift, cost-effective results on consumer claims cases. They have a tried and true playbook that works. Jimerson Birr can spout off the law on most of the issues off the top of their head if you ask them too. I was always impressed by that, but what made me more impressed was how good they were to work with when dealing with difficult claimants in challenging cases.
Represented Fortune 50 Health Insurer in Defeating Multiple Bid Protest of $1 Billion Contract
Successfully represented a Fortune 50 health insurer in defeating multiple bid protests of a $1 billion contract awarded to the client to provide Medicaid managed care services in the State of Georgia, resulting in the client retaining the contract.
Hundreds of Millions of Savings for Policyholders from Firm-Drafted State Legislation and Advocation
Drafted state legislation and advocated for several Florida counties in championing reforms resulting in property insurance rate reductions of up to 60 percent and policyholder savings of hundreds of millions of dollars for counties’ residents.
Criminal Restitution Recovered After Healthcare Insurer Fraud
Represented large healthcare insurer in recovery of tens of millions of criminal restitution orders after entity was defrauded by prior claimants and providers.
Over $6.8 Million of Undisclosed Premiums Recovered Prior to Final Hearing
Won arbitration award with over twenty-five million dollars in damages and specific performance relief in favor of insurer against third party claims administrator related to breach of contract and equitable claims in the administration of warranty and insurance contracts. Favorable outcome at trial obtained against TPA represented by seven lawyer litigation team from Chicago office of Foley & Lardner. Over 2 million documents exchanged between the parties in matter that was fast tracked to less than a year of substantive proceedings and trial over a three-month period of time. Over $6.8 million of undisclosed premiums recovered from TPA prior to final hearing.
Insurance Agency Owner Testimonial
Jimerson Birr exemplifies a firm that understands business as much as they understand the law. They always pleasantly surprise me when I need to know a simple answer on the fly. They are responsive and can get straight to the issue without racking up a big bill for my modest agency. When I refer them work, they take great care of my clients, which helps me develop more business. We’ve had construction and business interruption issues that were really challenging, but they knew how to get a good result from a bad situation. My referral of the firm to my clients is a reflection of my own business and thusly a testament to the faith that I have in them as a whole.
Chief Financial Officer of Insurance Agency Testimonial
Property and casualty insurance claims can often become quite contentious. Like many insurance agencies along coastal communities, coverage relative to damage from natural disasters is a regular part of our day-to-day claims. These claims can often become complex in nature and when our agency needs to contract legal counsel, Jimerson Birr is always our first choice. Throughout our experience with this firm, we have always encountered a fine level of attention and detail which has allowed us to avoid many costly errors along the way. The firm’s professional approach to each individual matter we have brought to them has always been handled with winning strategy.